Assistant Building Control Surveyor
Specialism: House Building
Sector: Building Surveying
Job type: Permanent
Salary range: £30,000 - £39,999
Location: South East
Assistant Building Control Surveyor
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play and how better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council
We at Milton Keynes Council are looking for an Assistant Building Control Surveyor to join and strengthen our Building Control team. You will work with your colleagues in the team, engaging with construction professionals and members of the public, as well as other departments within the Council, to ensure compliance with Building Regulations for a range of challenging building projects. You will also assist in checking dangerous structures and unauthorised building work.
- Formal checking of Building Regulations applications against the technical requirements of the regulations;
- Carrying out inspections on site at key stages of building work to ensure the requirements of the regulations are being followed;
- Investigating reports of unauthorised building work and providing evidence for potential enforcement. Dealing with any subsequent retrospective (regularisation) applications;
- Providing support to the Helpline by providing advice and guidance in relation to technical enquiries;
- Promoting the local authority building control service and support the LABC Partnering Scheme;
- Investigating reports of dangerous structures to assist in determining action required to ensure that structures are safe;
- Liaison, by face to face, verbal and written communications, with construction professionals, builders, members of the public, Councillors, other Council departments and other local authority building control teams in relation to the duties above.
Skills and experience required
- Significant experience of working with a Building Control team;
- Broad understanding of the Building Regulations and Building Act 1984;
- Good communication skills and ability to deal professionally with a wide range of people and situations;
- Ability to work without supervision and to manage and prioritise own workload;
- Ability to work safely in typical construction site conditions which may be potentially hazardous;
- Skills in using Microsoft Office software and a Building Control database;
- Full driving licence and own car.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Varied and challenging workload from small domestic projects to multi million pound commercial developments;
- Working alongside colleagues with extensive experience in Building Control providing an excellent resource for development and training;
- Working within the Regulatory Services team providing access to a wealth of knowledge of other Regulatory requirements;
- An environment that will encourage innovative and forward thinking ideas;
- Career progression available subject to obtaining relevant academic achievement and experience within the role;
- Role suitable for the Council’s Agile Working programme with remote access to required IT systems and use of company smart phone.
Use your skills to benefit the local community and experience a rewarding, interesting environment and attractive employment package such as:
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best and with an employer contribution rate of 18.5%;
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years;
- Option to buy more annual leave;
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements;
- Excellent in house management development programmes endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management;
- Flexibility –with full time, part time and term time working options;
- Fair pay and a commitment to a minimum Living Wage;
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.
How to apply
Please upload your covering letter and CV which must include a detailed career history with no gaps, on the Milton Keynes Council Careers website https://goo.gl/Wz7H0c
Closing date for receipt of applications: Sunday 28 May 2017.
We at Milton Keynes Council take great pride in our city and we hope that it’s you that can help us grow and share our vision.
Recruiter information... At Milton Keynes, were supporting the growth of our vibrant city while continuing to deliver excellent services. Its an exciting place to be and were keen to get the balance right including the work-life balance. So if youre looking for family-friendly benefits and the chance to make a difference, make a move to MKC.